Dublin City Council going back on plans to ban all private cars


first_img Tweet thisShare on FacebookEmail this article Share Tweet Email1 DUBLIN CITY COUNCIL is revising plans to ban private cars entirely from Eden Quay in Dublin.At a meeting of the Council’s corporate policy group this evening, the chairpersons of the council’s strategic policy committees were informed that the plans to restrict cars from Eden Quay were likely to be revised.The council had previously proposed to ban all cars from along Eden Quay from O’Connell St to Marlborough St, allowing for only public transport, taxis and cyclists.This measure was proposed to allow for the new Luas Cross City trams to cross the River Liffey and onto Marlborough Street a high number of times. It was thought that car traffic on the quays could slow the movement of the trams.The plans were met with strong resistance from local businesses, however, who said that restricting car traffic would cause fewer people to enter the city centre.The chairs of the special policy committees were informed this evening that a report into the proposed traffic restrictions had been carried out and that a full ban on cars on Eden Quay would now likely not happen.It is instead proposed to allow some private traffic onto the quay.Speaking to TheJournal.ie, Fianna Fáil councillor Paul McAuliffe – chair of the council’s enterprise committee – welcomed the news.“While I absolutely believe that the public transport and cyclists are extremely important, the proposals coming sent the message that cars were not allowed,” he said. Apr 28th 2017, 10:20 PM 17,357 Views Short URL Eden Quay Image: Google Maps Image: Google Maps 40 Comments By Cormac Fitzgerald http://jrnl.ie/3365369 Eden Quay I think the chief executive and the city council have made a pragmatic decision.The report will be discussed at a meeting of the transport special policy committee on Wednesday.TheJournal.ie has contacted the chair of the transport spc – Ciarán Cuffee – for comment.Read: After 22 months living in a hotel with her daughter, Erica Fleming has moved into her new homeRead: Traveller family left without sanitation facilities for 6 months wins equality case Dublin City Council going back on plans to ban all private cars from Eden Quay Plans to restrict traffic were met with strong resistance from local businesses. Friday 28 Apr 2017, 10:20 PMlast_img

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *